These are some tips that work great for me. Hope they help you have a fabulous race!
Prep your race clothing and race nutrition the night before – remember little things like body glide, watch and timing chip
Wake-up at least 1.5 hours before race (I like 2 hours – personally)
For breakfast eat what you have been practicing with – Don’t experiment with any new foods that you haven’t “tested” first.
Drink about 12 oz of water throughout the morning
Eat Gu or small banana 15-10 mins before run
Foam Roll or dynamic stretching 15-10 mins before race starts – we’ll have foam rollers and mats available for pre-race participants
Remember to not start out too fast – with the excitement for the race and all the people around you still need to pace yourself.
- Don’t forget to use sports nutrition every 40-60 mins – about a 100 cal an hour works good for most people.
April 13th, 2014
The Urban Escape Fitness Half Marathon 10K & 5K is 6 weeks away!! I have spoken to a bunch of people who want to run but are beginners – I suggest doing the 5k. Below is a beginner training program for completing the 5k
5K Training Plan
Tues & Thursday 2 miles / run for 5 mins, walk for 1 min
Saturday 3 miles / Run for 5 mins, walk for 30 seconds
Tues & Thursday 2 miles / run for 6 mins, walk for 1 min
Saturday 3 miles / Run for 6 mins, walk for 30 seconds
Tues & Thursday 2.5 miles / run for 7 mins, walk for 1 min
Saturday 3 miles / Run for 7 mins, walk for 30 seconds
Tues & Thursday 3 miles / run for 8 mins, walk for 1 min
Saturday 2 miles / Run, no walking
Tues & Thursday 3 miles / run for 9 mins, walk for 1 min
Saturday 2.5 miles / Run, no walking
Week 6: Race Week!
Tuesday 2 miles / run for 2 mins, walk for 1 mins
Sunday Race Day Run 5k
This works for me – figure out what works for you than make sure you stick with it.
- Wake-up at least 1.5 hours before my first planned activity
- 2 cups of coffee (a must!)
- 1 hour before run have a small bowl of oatmeal
- Drink about 12 oz of water through-out the morning
- Figure out what I’m wearing (if cold layers)
- Eat Gu or small banana 15-10 mins before run
- Foam Roll or dynamic stretching 15-10 mins before I leave for run
- Decide how I’m feeling and what my goals for run are (Am I working on negative splits, pace or slow conversation pace)
- If I’m running longer than an hour I bring water and Gu – I try and bring 100 cal of sports nutrition for every hour that I am exercising. I have a really hard time getting sports nutrition down so I make sure I practice what I plan on eating for race day.
- GPS watch
- Head out the door!
I love starting the new year with a killer workout. My husband and I co-taught a 1:20 boot camp class – was so fun! Energy was great had about 20 members show-up. Urban Escape Fitness members know how to take a thrashing!!
Our Half Marathon Training Program starts this Sunday – so excited how many people are already signed-up!
I thought this quote was prefect for summing up how we should live our life (or at least how I want to live my life). I love having experiences, meeting people and of course working out HARD! Material things are not important to me (unless its a new snowboard, bike or running shoes 🙂 ) As far a this year went, starting your own business is hard but I have never been happier. I love that we live in a country that you can follow your dreams and I love that I have a husband and friends that believe in me and my vision. I see only good positive things happening in the year to come (love even numbers).
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Just because I needed a good laugh 🙂
Celebrate your accomplishments – don’t dwell on your failures… learn from them and move on